Steps to Commencement
Stay on Track
Rutgers University Virtual Commencement took place on Sunday, May 16, 2021.
Follow our steps to stay on track for your graduation.
Stay in communication with your school.
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick Students: Log in to Degree Navigator, or other degree auditing tools, to ensure you are on track to complete your degree. If you notice any discrepancies, please contact your school’s academic adviser immediately.
- Students in Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Schools: Contact your dean’s office directly for graduation requirements.
Complete the Online Diploma Application and confirm your graduation date.
- Rutgers–New Brunswick Students: You must complete an Online Diploma Application with the Office of the Registrar. At that time, you can confirm the name you would like displayed on your diploma and that the correct permanent mailing address is on file so that you receive your diploma after graduation.
- Confirm that you are classified to complete your degree during the correct month and year.
Mid-year degree recipients can attend the Commencement celebration in May.
Most students who expect to receive degrees in October 2020, January 2021, May 2021, or August 2021 are eligible to participate in the May 2021 school convocation and Commencement events, but it varies by school. Contact your school directly if you have questions.
All financial obligations to the university must be cleared before you can receive your diploma.
- Items borrowed from the Rutgers University Libraries must be returned or accounted for, and any outstanding financial obligations, such as parking tickets, must be cleared.
- To learn more about financial holds and loan exit counseling, visit the Student Accounting, Billing, and Cashier Services website.
All students are able to purchase academic regalia, consisting of cap, gown, and hood, through Barnes and Noble at Rutgers.
Please note: You may return your souvenir regalia unopened within 30 days and we will gladly refund you the purchase price less shipping. All returned items must be unopened and in their original packaging.
Due to the high volume of ship-to-home orders, you may experience a delay in receiving your package. While we’re no longer shipping within a two-week window, we remain committed to delivering your regalia prior to commencement. You will receive an email confirmation once your order ships and tracking will be available within 24 hours.
You've worked hard and it’s time to celebrate your accomplishment!
- Picture Yourself on Campus: Introducing the 2021 University Commencement Virtual Photo Booth! Grab a photo, place it on a campus background, download and share! Click here to access the photo booth! This is a fun way to place yourself back on campus while also celebrating the Class of 2021. Make sure to share with your family and friends. They can take part in the fun too.
- Share Your Next Steps: Complete the Career Services survey about your post-graduation plans for your chance to be entered into a raffle to win your choice of Apple Air Pods or a $100 Amazon gift card!