Steps to Commencement
Stay on Track
Follow our steps to Rutgers University Virtual Commencement on Sunday, May 16, 2021, below.
Stay in communication with your school.
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick Students: Log in to Degree Navigator, or other degree auditing tools, to ensure you are on track to complete your degree. If you notice any discrepancies, please contact your school’s academic adviser immediately.
- Students in Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Schools: Contact your dean’s office directly for graduation requirements.
Complete the Online Diploma Application and confirm your graduation date.
- Rutgers–New Brunswick Students: You must complete an Online Diploma Application with the Office of the Registrar. At that time, you can confirm the name you would like displayed on your diploma and that the correct permanent mailing address is on file so that you receive your diploma after graduation.
- Confirm that you are classified to complete your degree during the correct month and year.
Mid-year degree recipients can attend the Commencement celebration in May.
Most students who expect to receive degrees in October 2020, January 2021, May 2021, or August 2021 are eligible to participate in the May 2021 school convocation and Commencement events, but it varies by school. Contact your school directly if you have questions.
All financial obligations to the university must be cleared before you can receive your diploma.
- Items borrowed from the Rutgers University Libraries must be returned or accounted for, and any outstanding financial obligations, such as parking tickets, must be cleared.
- To learn more about financial holds and loan exit counseling, visit the Student Accounting, Billing, and Cashier Services website.
All students are able to purchase academic regalia, consisting of cap, gown, and hood, through Barnes and Noble at Rutgers.
All regalia will be ship-to-home and must be ordered at least three weeks prior to desired delivery date. Regalia may be returned unopened within 30 days to receive a refund less the shipping amount. All returned items must be unopened and in their original packaging.
**Please note all regalia orders will be fulfilled and shipped in time for University Commencement if placed prior to April 23, 2021. You will receive a tracking number via email from Oak Hall when your order has shipped.
It is time to celebrate your accomplishments! Download and send the Save the Date reminder to your family and friends so that they can share in the excitement.
You've worked hard and it’s time to celebrate your accomplishment!
- Picture Yourself on Campus: Introducing the 2021 University Commencement Virtual Photo Booth! Grab a photo, place it on a campus background, download and share! Click here to access the photo booth! This is a fun way to place yourself back on campus while also celebrating the Class of 2021. Make sure to share with your family and friends. They can take part in the fun too.
- Share Your Next Steps: Complete the Career Services survey about your post-graduation plans for your chance to be entered into a raffle to win your choice of Apple Air Pods or a $100 Amazon gift card!