Faculty & Staff
Rutgers University-New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences faculty and staff are invited to attend and participate in the 257th Anniversary Commencement, taking place on Sunday, May 14, 2023 at SHI Stadium.
There are several ways that faculty and staff can participate in the largest academic event of the year!
- Join the faculty procession and sit with your school, supporting your graduates as their degrees are conferred. Academic regalia will be required. See details below to secure regalia, register for parking and details on where to join the procession on Commencement Day.
- Volunteer as an Ambassador or as a Marshal and support the graduates in an up close and personal role! See below for more information on the roles and to register.
- Attend Commencement as a guest in the stands and cheer on the graduates as they advance in their careers. Don’t forget to register for a parking hangtag!
A Commencement parking hangtag is required to park on campus on Commencement day.
If you are driving to campus to attend Commencement, or to work on Sunday, May 14, you will need a special parking hangtag for your vehicle. Your parking permit issued by the Department of Transportation Services will not be valid on this day.
- Parking is available on Busch, Livingston, and College Avenue campuses.
- Complimentary shuttles between Busch and the other campuses will run continuously from 7 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Shuttle service will NOT be available from the Cook or Douglass campuses on May 14.
- Register for your parking hangtag no later than May 1 at 10 a.m.
- Hangtags will be delivered by early May to the requested address.
Parking Registration is Now Open for Faculty and Staff
All faculty who participate in the Commencement procession are required to wear academic regalia. Details on obtaining regalia will come from your school's dean's office.
Faculty members are able to rent and pay for regalia individually via online ordering and pick up in store. The deadline to order is March 24, 2023.
Join the Procession!
On Commencement Day, bring your regalia and make your way to SHI Stadium. Once inside the stadium, look for signs to the marshaling area or a Commencement Ambassador, in a red T-shirt, can point you in the right direction. The marshaling area is located under the south end of the stadium. Once there, look for the banner stating your school’s name. The school gonfalonier and dean will process first, followed by faculty and then the graduates. Get ready to smile as you may be on camera!
Ambassadors are the volunteer force that helps to make Commencement a reality. As an Ambassador, you are able to choose from a variety of positions that are vital to ensuring that Commencement goes smoothly and effectively.
To thank our Ambassadors, each will receive:
- An official Commencement t-shirt
- A thank you gift
- Entry into a volunteer raffle
- Convenient parking for the day of Commencement
- Continental breakfast
- Recognition on the video screen in the stadium and on our website.
Marshals assist with guiding the academic procession in an orderly, dignified line to designate seating on the field. Marshals are required to wear academic regalia, which is provided unless the Marshal has their own. Marshals must be at least 21 years old.
- A thank-you gift
- Training in advance
- Parking near to the stadium for the day of Commencement
- Breakfast at SHI Stadium
- Recognition on the video screen in the stadium, in the printed program, and on our website
- Academic regalia rental
Registration is now open!